Playing a legally purchased personal DVD, or one borrowed from the Library, on your computer and sharing your screen via Zoom falls within copyright Fair Use under the following conditions:
- Don't record the session for future access.
- Distribute the Zoom link via Sakai to restrict access to those students registered in the course.
Technical advice for sharing your screen in Zoom to show a film
- Enable sharing for sound.
- Click the Share Screen button at the bottom of your Zoom screen.
- Check the Share Computer Sound and Optimize Screen Sharing for Video in the share screen pop up window.
- Make sure your volume is an appropriate level.
- Select the screen showing the film so that others can see the content.
- It is recommended that all participants turn off their cameras for the duration of the video and that student participants mute their sound.
- Mac users may find that the native DVD player blocks the video when you share your screen. We recommend VLC Media Player which is available on all IC assets and free to download for personal machines.
Was this helpful?